Is it just me or are there more gays or people-like-us nowadays? In the malls, one can observe more and more guy/guy or girl/girl couples - sharing a meal, shopping together, or a date at the movies. Buff boys in the gym hook up with equally buff boys, leaving out the women and matrona clientele. Online, you now see more choices of hook-ups - from twinks to bodybuilders, ages May to December, with different fetishes.
Methinks that this phenomenon results from the younger generation being more open with their sexuality (which osmosed to the older generation). Rewind to freshman year when gays/PLUs in my campus was limited to the stereotype flam-effeminate. They were the standard-bearers of what a gay man was. Fast-forward to senior and super-senior year - you'd have straight-looking guys holding hands, lipstick lesbians publicly displaying affection, and same-sex couples exchanging sweet nothings in the library.
I was caught in the cusp when the tides were changing. Being part of the 'older generation', I find myself in the closet but with a full-view of things that are happening outside. And I guess this would be a great vantage point which influenced my decision to turn straight into the PLU world...
Next post: On Coming In and Out
a1 Prologue: Turning Straight
11.07.2009 | Posted by I Am Lukayo at 10:24 AM |
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Powered by Blogger.

11 comments:
nice choice.
Looking forward to the series :) Not to pressure you, but just to say you have a following on this topic.
one very nice thing about beeing gay today is it makes me feel like I'm a hybrid between a straight guy and a straight gal...or, shall I say, a lady and a gentleman...
i remember Tyra Banks saying, "he's not gay. he's married."
to which i raised my eyebrow, "does it matter?"
a bit more scary..
is there another alter-ego to emerge to this extent?
Relax, lukayo.
It's just another sign of the Apocalypse.
pre lukayo, bading ka yata a!
lolz
mareng heidi: you have a valid point.
tita swarding, ogie diaz, and the late jun encarnacion are/were married.
brrrrr
hahahahha
WV: i FLEDGE my love for you :D
(naghihintay sa sunod na kabanata)
It's alarming to a certain extent as well. Not that I condone it - I mean, why would I? - but it feels as if I'm seeing a revolution I am not resolved to partake in. And of course, there's envy.
Gusto ko rin ng ka-holding hands. :D
No, it's not just you. There are more gay people out there, and they're bolder, braver, and all the more defining.
I just pray to the Gay Gods out there that this new generation of queers give the rest of us old timers a good name to hang on to.
@rudeboy, sign of the apocalypse talaga. =D
i imagine if there will come a time na straight people na lang ang tutuksuhin na straight. =)
Post a Comment