In my previous post, I mentioned that I've been doing a lot of thinking discernment. A slew of career opportunities have come along and given my age, I should choose wisely. Whilst I'm grateful for all of them, it doesn't help that the choices all present very promising paths.
The question may be summed as follows, do I know live the dream or take up the challenge? Must I begin to Build or once again trail-blaze?
Since college, I've dreamed of being part of this organization. My first application didn't even get me the call from HR. The second time I applied, the director mentioned my lack of experience. Third time's a charm and a paper is on its way this week.
But another organization is putting me up for a challenge. The local market has proven to be saturated for this local giant. Part of its strategy is to conquer the globe and build a global presence. And they need warm bodies to take up this challenge and create the global brand.
On my end, it's a question of building or trail-blazing. The former would enable me to build expertise on a certain area which is the battleground or forefront for most companies in that industry. Further, if ever I decide to migrate it would be easier to get a job given their global reach. The latter would enable me to stretch myself once again in a field that I have little expoosure in. Further, if I decide to stick with them I would be a pioneer and one who can possibly leave a legacy.
So do I follow the dream or take up the challenge? Build or trail-blaze?
This Way or That Way?
10.26.2009 | Posted by I Am Lukayo at 8:11 PM |
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Powered by Blogger.

19 comments:
FOLLOW UR DREAM.
you had already been challenged by new tasks, new ideas, and new environment. You had explored and conquered so many things. So much for that thinking.
it's now time to follow ur dream.
(hmmmm alam ko na kung anong company yun)
wink.
tulad ng nabanggit ko kay engel, wala namang maling desisyon. sa paraan ng pagkakadetalye mo, mukhang pareho silang nagbibigay ng magandang pagkakataong lumago sa aspeto ng career at salapi.
alin man sa dalawa ang piliin mo ay good choice.ang mahalaga lang ay kaya mo itong panindigan at walang 'sayang naman, kung yung isa na lang sana' na saloobin sakali mang balikan mo ang pagkakataong ito.
sa pagpili ng desisyon, mabuting tandaan ang kasabihan na napulot ko sa isang lumang istorya na isinulat ni genoveva edroza matute--hindi porke ang utak ay nag-iisip at nasa itaas ng puso ay siya mo na lang susundin..hindi porke ang puso ang nakadarama ay babalewalain mo na ang isinisigaw ng isipan.tandaan mo, kung wala ang isa, mawawalang saysay ang isa pa.
Oh, this is what someone I know likes to call "a happy problem."
A choice between two attractive propositions. I guess you just have to weigh your options and then take that leap of faith.
Good luck making the best choice. Either way, you win. It's just a matter of degree.
good for you that both choices are wins. i guess it's where you gain the most when you make your choice.
good luck!
dahil napatunayan ko ng materialistic ako, i say choose the job which will give you the bigger benefit in the long run.
doing something that you love, that's for idealists. most of the time, our desires outweigh all other needs.
sinabi na't negastar ako today e!
Nung nagtapos ako ng college, bago kami pina alis sa paaralan, pinafill up kami ng form na naglalaman ng impormasyon at contact details ng mga studyante. Ni-file ito ng skwila para sa mga naghahanap ng mga empleyado. Kung may mga kompanya at mga employers na naghahanap ng mga tao, pumupunta sila sa skul at tinitignan ang mala encyclopediang file para maghanap ng mga tao. Hindi ko alam kung magandang ideya ito o hindi.
Hindi pa kami nakaka-alis sa skul, sandamukal na email, text at tawag na ang natatanggap ko galing sa iba't ibang kompanya at nagaalok ng samut-saring posisyon. Ganun din ata sa mga kasamahan ko, pero hindi ko alam kasi weirdo magtanong kung sino ang tinawagan nino. May mga nag alok ng managerial positions, supervisory positions, management trainee na posisyon, at iba pang posisyon.
Doggie. Missionary. Haha. Loko lang.
Karamihan sa mga nag alok ay sobrang lapit lang sa amin na uutot lang ako andun na ako sa trabaho. Punta daw sa facility nila para idiscuss ang ganito-ganyan. Kakausapin daw ni ganito-ganyan. Wala akong ibang masisi kundi yung mala-encyclopedia na file na ginawa ng skul namin.
Pero, may isang kompanya na pumunta sa skul at nagpa-exam at interview ng mga papagraduate na studyante. Ayun, pinuntahan ko. Nag-exam. Ni-interview. Nag-apply. At ngayon andito ako sa Manila, malayo sa amin, at regular/ordinaryong employee sa isang kompanya.
Bakit ko kaya ginawa yun?
Haba naman ng pinagsasasabi ko ito lang pala sasabihin ko:
1) Pagbutihan ang pagpili. 2) Panindigan ang napili. 3) At i-enjoy ang buhay.
Just to Say Something,
Boying Opaw
If you think you're ready, then go for it.
If your choice will lead you to your dreams, then grab it.
In my career path......I ask first show me the figure and I will decide? hehehe materialistic kasi ako ikaw naman richie rich boi ka naman kaya gow w/ ur dream!!
I asked this once to myself... pero repharsed abit diff:
Would I want to be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a small pond?
I chose to be a big fish in a small pond. Later on, it proved that my market value shot up because I held positions in the small pond. Thus, when I got to the bigger pond, I was able to get a higher position already and wouldn't have to go through those below positions. Gets?
always follow your dreams... so that at the end of it all, regardless where it brought you, masaya ka dahil ginawa mo kung ano ang gusto mo...
@Pilyo: Hindi pa rin mapalagay ang loob ko. O siguro mas naaangkop sabihin na hindi ko pa pinipiling mapalagay.
@period: maraming salamat sa matalinhagang comment. naantig ang aking damdamin sa ikatlong sanaysay na nilalaman ang kasabihan ni GEM.
@rudeboy: Yeah... leap of faith! I've never been good at making choices...
@engel: thanks engel! still getting there...
@js: negastar ka nga... pero to an extent tama ka! tignan mo sarili mo papa, as in pwede ka na mag-alaga ng isang stable ng boylets. ETCHOZ!
@boying opaw: Salamat sa 1-2-3 punch/payo. Buti ngayon alam ko na meaning ng JTSS.
@Mr. Scheez: Iniisip ko nga eh, kapag pinili ko yung dream... should I dream again?
@marhk: kung rich ako hindi ako magtratrabaho. LOLs
@Kiko: Loud and clear. I'm not too sure if I want to be a fish though. LOLs Thanks for your comment!
One thing nice about being human is you can dream all you can.
JTSS,
Boying Opaw
It never is a simple question of what will make you happier. Thing is, if one of the choices does makes you happier, you wouldn't be asking this question now would you?
I had a similar problem before. It was the question of staying in a small firm where progress was close to nil in terms of growth yet I called all the shots in the design and the creative process, against a corporate firm that although I would have to start from the bottom up, lessons will be learned and my acuity with the imagined space will be greatly challenged.
I went for the latter for several reasons: (1) I like the challenge, (2) there is an opportunity for growth and travel, (3) the pay was way beyond local industry standards, and (4) I was tired of being the brains of the project and being treated as a second-rate employee.
A year later, I am one of the senior designers already. I get to handle my own projects and delegate work. I still am a loner, and would choose to distance myself from people. My comprehension of the design process is far more comprehensive now. Am I happy? Maybe not. Yet.
It's still is a struggle. That's a lot considering I'm already doing what I love to do - design. What am I trying to say here?
Options. Choose the one that gives you more options. To grow, to lead, to learn and to explore. That way, down the line even if it doesn't end up being the one you really wanted, the journey was worth it. Best of luck, Lukayo.
@Boying - Ditto!
Go with which ever you're more passionate about.
timbangin mo kung ano mas gusto mo at san ka magiging masaya yun lang!
goodluck...
these two options are blessings. give thanks and ask for guidance.
ayan spiritual ang comment ko (di dahil undas ngayon). i faced several crossroads before. when confused, i just simply surrendered =) good luck!
I don't know you and I don't want to act as if I do, but given the considerations you mentioned, I'd say the latter. Trail-blaze. Choose the road that hasn't been traveled by. :D
@Boying Opaw: Yeh, masarap mangarap. Pero mas masarap makamtan ang pangarap!
@red the mod / @MacCallister: Methinks that being happy wherever you are is a choice.
And yeh, I agree to choose what gives you more options (my choice might enable me to find a job easier should I choose to migrate). =)
@James: for a jack-of-all master-of-none, looking for passion is hard. but yeh, thanks for your comment!
@MkSurf8: Ambait mo naman fafa. Naninibago aketch. But yeh, nice problem to have. LOLs
@X: I've been trailblazing ever since. Me thinks its time to build. But yeh, thanks for visiting my blog X!
Salamas sa inyong mga komento. =)
Post a Comment